CHINA: LOW SULPHUR FUEL
Published: September 13, 2018
Members will already be aware of the PRC Emission Control Area (ECA) regulations where ships are required to use low sulphur fuel not exceeding 0.5% mm:
- when berthing (excluding one hour after berthing and once hour before departure) at all ports within three ECAs as from 01.01.2018, and
- during the whole period when ships are in the ECAs from 01.01.2019.
Regional authorities of Shanghai, Zhejiang and Jiangsu Provinces have recently issued formal notices that ships calling at the provinces’ ports on or after 01.10.2018 will be required to use fuel with a sulphur content not exceeding 0.50% mm while navigating and berthing within the provinces’ waters and port areas.
To summarize, as from 01.10.2018, ships are required to use low sulphur content fuel not exceeding 0.5% mm:
- when entering Shanghai port area;
- when entering Yangtze River Delta ECA if vessel’s destination is Ningbo or Zhoushan port;
- when entering Suzhou and Nantong ECA area.
Members are advised to contact local agents or correspondents for any clarification.